Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bird Watching

These first two where taken at our apartement


These next two were taken at our house.



I love our bird feeder. We got it back in February when we lived in an apartment. I was able to watch birds all day long. I loved it. Now that we have moved into our home I thought the birds wouldn’t come. Luckily I was wrong. Beautiful cardinals are coming and feeding on the seed we have set out.

I am enjoying this moment; kids are napping (never happens at the same time! Or at all.), I am relaxing on the couch, and I get to watch these beautiful birds. Wonderful birthday moment!

I have been watching these cardinals closely for a while and I have come to a conclusion that they are such a romantic bird. The red ones (male) are beautiful, but not arrogant. If you watch closely after they gather some seeds they fly back to the female (brownish/yellow) and give them their seeds. He actually feeds her. Oh, my heart melted when I noticed them taking care of their sweetheart! You can see in the picture the red one sharing with the brown. Right when the male starts flying towards her she starts to fluff her feathers rapidly until she is done eating. I even saw a few females up close to the feeder; even on the feeder, but they wouldn’t be eating the seeds. They would wait until the male broke it open and fed them. It is so much fun to watch birds. I have to thank the Coovers for getting us interested in bird watching. M and I have decided that when we are old and retired we will be traveling bird watchers! Who knows – maybe?

3 comments:

Mel said...

Happy Birthday Mel! I hope you get to do something exciting with M.

That is really cool about the birds. It's hard to imagine M sitting still long enough to be a professional bird watcher:)

Elder and Sister Allsop 2013-15 said...

A very Happy Birthday to you M. Wished we could be their to sing to you, but I'm sure you are glad we are not considering the quality of our voices.

That is so amazing about the birds. I didn't even think about there being different kinds of birds from the robins and sparrows that we see. They are beautiful.
Grandma A.

attack of The Mouse said...

Happy Birthday. I'm glad to hear you got a quiet break today. What a treat. Nothing better. I hope you do something fun. enjoy