Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mother

What an emotional roller coaster. These past four weeks have been beyond anything I ever imagined myself doing. As I look back, I know I was lifted and was given the capabilities to do what needed to be done. My sweet Mother was so patient with me as I struggled to care for her. Even though she was in so much pain she was grateful for our time together. I couldn't have done it with out my husband and his family. I had full time babysitters and didn't have to worry about how my kids were doing. The two weeks I cared for her were some of the most special days I have experienced. I feel humbled to have had the opportunity to serve her remembering all of the service she has given me as her daughter. I can not adequately express what it was like to be with someone when they pass away. It was a hard thing to do. Among all the feelings of helplessness were feelings of peace and gratitude for her release from pain in this mortal life.

My heart is full as I read sweet emails and cards of sympathy. How memorable it was to see old friends and family come and support my family at this hard time. I will never forget your kindness and prayers. I have literally felt the prayers lift me up and sustain me through this trial. Thank you.

10 comments:

Crystal said...

I know what you are going through as I have burried a parent. Unlike what you went thru, my fathers death was totally unexpected, and we were totally unprepared for what lie ahead. The feelings and emotions are all the same. You will have good days, bad days, so-so days, and days where you pick up the phone to call, and realize that they are not there. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, and you know where I can be reached if you ever need to talk. Keep positive and cherish the moments you had with her, and cherish the time you have with your own kids.

Kristi said...

I am so sorry and my heart aches for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Christine said...

It was so tender to read of the precious final moments you had with your dear mother. I pray that you will continue to feel peace and comfort.

Asherbie said...

How we love you, Melanie. May God be with you and your family.

Julianne said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the final moments with your mother. How wonderful that you were able to spend quality time with her. Those tender moments will surely be a treasure to you in years ahead. We love you and your family!

Elder and Sister Allsop 2013-15 said...

Those moments with your mom will become more endearing as the years pass. You'll find yourself reflecting on the quiet peacefull moments and less on the pain and anxiety you felt.
You were the stalwart of all to make yourself available so much of the times. We were glad that we could help with the children.

Deanna said...

Love you so much. You are SO amazing and I am so glad you are my friend.

The Silly Witch said...

Oh Melanie, what a blessing to have that time. If only every daughter could have that. I'm so proud of you for having the faith to turn your children over and make those precious memories. You are amazing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Teddy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a bitter-sweet time. It seems the spirit is so close and somehow you just get through it. Just know I'm thinking about you and praying for your comfort at this time.

Bree said...

I am so very sorry for your loss Melanie. Your words are so eloquent, filled with such love and admiration in a time of such pain. Please know you are in my prayers. You'll never know what your strength has done in the eyes of Celie. She may not understand much of it now, but in time she'll reflect on those days and she'll be filled with the same love and admiration for you. May the Lord hold you and comfort you in the days ahead.