Celie is going to school, learned to hoola hoop and is making all kinds of new strides as she grows up too fast. She is very proud of her hoola hoop abilities and was very excited about her first day of school too. She had her first encounter with a "bully" the other day. She started telling me the story and tears welled up. She told me that at lunch two mean girls came up to her and said mean things one of which was, "If you don't give me your broccoli I'll hit you." Now at this point I couldn't help but laugh. Broccoli? What bully has ever threatened someone to get their uncooked with no dip broccoli? She was of course confused at why I was laughing and it helped her lighten her mood about it. She then told me that she handed over the vegetable for fear of being hit. Her new friend at school later stood up for her during recess and hit the "mean girl" on the backside. I told her that hitting is never acceptable while feeling a little relieved that she had a friend that would stand up for her. I think I laughed so hard about the broccoli I cried. The story is much better with Celie telling it with a pout face and tears welling up. She is precious. She wants to please everyone. I love her.
2 comments:
School just makes these kids grow up way too fast. I'm sorry C. had to deal with a bully. I guess that bully knows that brocoli is a celestial food - you can eat as much of it as you want.
We miss you guys - but think of you often. Tell C. hi from E. she asks about her a lot.
It's a mean world out there. Imagine bully encounters even in Kindergarten. I think I would have handed it over too. Maybe she will learn some negotiating skills some day, somethign like broccoli for a cookie.
Love her sensitivity. Thanks for teaching my grandkids life skills.
Grandma A.
Post a Comment