Marty and I were making our first trip to a Super Wal-mart a few weeks ago to have a look around. After we purchased a few things and were getting in the car I noticed two teenage boys suspiciously pushing at one another like there was something they wanted done, but neither one wanted to do it. They were two or three cars away from us standing next to a large, older car with all of the windows down. Marty was busy putting Celie in the car seat while I watched one of the boys finally reach in the car and pull out a black purse. I had thought that we made eye contact earlier (during their pushing) so I was astonished that they went through with it and then made eye contact again. I wanted to yell out "Did you just steal that purse right in front of me?", but I was too surprised at what just happened that I watched them walk away. To my greater surprise they walked straight over to an expensive, red sports car opened the door, put the purse in and went in the store to shop!! Like I said, they were young teenage boys. Not smart on their part.
It took me a while to convince Marty that I just witnessed theft in the parking lot, but he acted quickly and caught sight of the boys walking into the store. He quickly went to the service desk and told security what had happened. An undercover-looking guy came out to look at the two cars involved and called police, meanwhile the boys are still shopping. Marty went in with the security guy and pointed the boys out in the store and they even made eye contact a couple of times, I think they were starting to realize that we were on to them. They came out of the store shortly after and I watched them walk to the red car and pull out the purse like they were going to put it back, but as soon as it was in their hands and the car door was shut, the police showed up! They weren't very gentle either. They were hand cuffed and put into the police cars quickly. The Wal-mart security says that this has been happening a lot lately, so lesson learned: Roll up windows, lock doors, and just don't leave your purse on the front seat!!!! We felt proud of our little service to the community!
Florida National Parks
7 years ago

1 comment:
Way to go Melanie & Marty! That is so exciting on your part. I've only caught a thief once and it cost him his job:)
Post a Comment