Laura's service was so nice. We sang beautiful songs and most of the family spoke. The flowers were magnificent and represented our Mother perfectly. We love her and miss her so much. Below are some pictures of the funeral and under that is a copy of my talk I gave at the service.
In Memory of Laura Lee Robinson Benson
By Melanie Allsop
By Melanie Allsop
At this time of separation with my Mother I have so many mixed feelings; the emptiness of her absence, the gratitude of her service, the sorrow of her pain and the joy of her awaited peace. I have been humbled and reserved these past few months as I more fully realize how blessed I was to grow up in the presence of a valiant daughter of God. I want to share with you the legacy she has left with us.
It is hard to speak about Laura and not mention her visible talents and beauty; that was evident in the many wonderful, uplifting letters she received throughout her illness. On the outside her energetic spirit shown through as she entertained, created, and loved. I have millions of memories of costumes, music, makeup, and laughter. I still can hear her singing “wind beneath my wings” over and over and I remember how I would ask her to stop singing because she sang so loudly. That volume became handy during her humorous acts which in turn created a popularly requested genre of performances. “Second hand rose” and “Elona at the library” just to name a couple. Her comedic and her serious presentations were equally wonderful and her performing talents have touched us all in a way that will always bring a smile to our face.
Even though the outside of Laura was spectacular I would like to share with you her inner talents some of us have been privileged to witness. Laura struggled with taking time for herself or putting herself first. She wanted to please everyone. Most of the time we didn’t know what she wanted because she would try to do what ever delighted others before sharing her desires. Even in her last weeks she was thinking about how things could be easier for us. She valued charity and had a strong desire to have unconditional love for all.
Laura had a drive for personal education. She loved to study, explore and experiment especially with matters of health. She would get so excited when she learned something new that she couldn’t help but to share it. She also, had an unexplainable desire to improve things all around her. Creating artistic displays of talent and beauty, inventing ways to make dishes more convenient, and having so many project plans for the family made it so there was always something new and different going on in her home.
She was quick to work hard at finding solutions to a problem for you, she was determined with her goals and she had a skill for observing human behavior and analyzing it, but possibly her greatest talent or inner beauty is her dedication to her Savior Jesus Christ. Her testimony was unwavering and strong and her spirit was sweet and gentile. I remember on my baptism day I was ill and sad that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it. She was so sweet with me making sure that I was comfortable and beautiful. I remember as she braided my hair that I felt her testimony of the gospel so strong that I knew it to be true because she knew it was true. She had a reverence for sacred things and she had her own way of bringing the spirit into people’s lives.
As a musical family we, especially Laura, have received many compliments about the quality of our talents. We owe the success of appreciative audiences not so much to the technical aspect of our performance, but the spirit and feeling Laura encouraged us to use as a foundation for our performance. The professionals teach us to project from the diaphragm . . . Laura taught us to project from the heart. Her personal interpretation of music lets the spirit teach and when she sang she could communicate the charitable intentions of her soul.
Though her spirit beamed through music, her devotion to the Lord was quiet and personal. I have strong feelings about Mother’s conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I feel as though she was my pioneer taking on the challenges so I didn’t have to. Because she allowed me to be raised in the gospel I owe her my testimony, knowledge, and peace. She paved the way for me as a Mother in Zion. She never stopped doing her best as she taught her family to love one another, never stray from their testimonies, and do what is right. I recognize her great sacrifices she made as she followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost, guiding her to raise a righteous family in the gospel. Spiritually strong, determined to progress, and committed to truth describes her discipleship on this earth.
At a young age I would beg mom to have another baby. I loved pretending as a child to be a mom and later enjoyed babysitting for neighbors. I remember her encouraging words supporting my goals to become good mother. I felt as though I was accomplished at it and I had good self esteem because of her continual praise and support. I even felt more confident to be a mother then, than I do now. Laura wanted me to explore what was interesting to me. Often we would sit together in excitement pouring over a book about parenting, sharing what we learned and seeing if the newly revealed principles fit into the guidelines of the gospel. It was then, at a young age, that I began to understand how intertwined personal revelation and success as a Mother was. I don’t believe I have ever witnessed my Mother try to decide whether or not to follow a spiritual prompting. If she knew it was true then she would simply do it.
These beautiful qualities plus many more have come to her because of her loving Father in Heaven and wonderful parents, Henry and Doris Robinson. From her father she learned to be a peacemaker; one who continually thinks of others first. From her mother she learned dedication to goodness; one who will stick to their course. Jan, my father, has been completed by his other half in ways we all have benefited from. They complimented each other and had a beautiful marriage. I see Laura in all of us children. I see her love for health and wholeness in Lisa, her desire to help others be happy in JR, her creativity in Connie, ambition to do better in myself, and her selfless compassion in Julie. We each have a part of her in us and we will pass those wonderful traits down to her posterity.
A few days before her passing I remember as we were reading letters from loved ones and friends her face looked as though she were in shock. She couldn’t believe the wonderful things people were saying about her and from whom they were written. I don’t think she knew how much she was loved. I am glad she was given the chance to see a fraction of the impact she had on people’s lives before her passing. Thank you for your kindness and love towards her and us. She was a wholehearted wife, a delightful mother, and a devoted disciple of our Savior Jesus Christ. We will miss her greatly.





5 comments:
What a nice remembrance of your mother, Mel. Your vigilant care of her over the last several months was a great example to me. I'm sure she is grateful to have a loving daughter like you.
It's hard to lose a parent. I went through somewhat of what you're experiencing three years ago. I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. While an absence will always remain, sweet memories will gradually help to fill the feeling of absence with more peace.
Your mother sounds like she was an amazing woman...which I knew already just from seeing who she raised. But, it's very nice to hear what she was like and all that she did to change this world for the better. It was a beautiful talk.
Thanks for sharing so much of this experience with me! I cannot imagine doing what life requires of us without the gospel and you are truly an example to me of what it means to really believe.
Melanie, I was blog hopping and came across your blog. :) I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Truly, I am. I hope you can feel the peace and love of the Comforter during this hard time.
Post a Comment