Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Celie




I am taking a parenting class with M and we are sitting on the edge of our seats through the whole lesson. Celie has caught us off guard with her strong will and our developing patience is not enough to see her through to her teens. So we have made it a goal to work hard at being better parents by improving our own habits and characters. She is a strong person and will some day be a great leader. She has a heart of gold and a watchful eye like a hawk! Potty training is a thing of the past. I don’t even think she can fathom wearing a diaper, “those are for babies”. To think only months earlier she was waddling around in a “sagging” diaper. As a big girl, her joy comes from exerting energy, making sure everyone has a toy and is happy, singing Mary Poppins songs, helping me cook (so important to her), holding J, and doing her jobs on her new job chart. If she didn’t accomplish the “be nice” job she makes sure to say “maybe tomorrow I’ll be nice, ok?” She is so funny. Moving has been very confusing for her. She flat out doesn’t like this apartment and she tells me often. I assure her that we will be moving into a home soon and she is excited about that. She is good at telling me when to stop and go at the stop lights and her prayers are sweet and sincere. She would love to go to Daddy’s work and spend the day with him, but she doesn’t want any hugs or kisses when he gets home or tucks her into bed.
The other day we had our fan replaced by a maintenance guy. Fernando, I believe was his name. I have never seen Celie act so adult like, it was crazy. She helped him by handing him parts he dropped on the floor and she smothered him with questions. “What’s that? Is that white? What are you doing? What’s your name?” He was very kind and played along. I didn’t have to entertain her for a whole half an hour!! She was patient and attentive and respectful and everything a mother could hope to see in their child. When Fernando left, and after a big long good-bye with lots of waves, she stood at the window watching him leave with hands on her hips saying “He’s a good man.” Ya, I about died laughing. This little sweet daughter of God will shape me into a better person if I let it. I hope I can stay worthy to raise her and her magnificent spirit. My sweet silly Celie.

1 comment:

Mel said...

"He's a good man"!. I am cracking up!

We love you Silly!